Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Thanksgiving…
     It's two days before Thanksgiving, and it has me remembering Thanksgivings' past. I remember when I was a kid, we all went to my Nana's house each Thanksgiving night for a huge feast! The adults would eat in the dining room, while the kids would sit at the kitchen table. Afterwards we would all file into the living room and talk and laugh and have desert, which was great. The sparkling, twinkling bubble lights from the early Christmas tree and the laughter and good spirits were wonderful as I sat on the arm of a chair and just listened and immersed myself in what was going on around me.
     As a kid, I eagerly looked forward to being old enough to to sit at the "big table" in the dining room. Sitting in the kitchen with my cousins and the other kids ranging from three or four to fifteen or sixteen was like waiting on the bench to get to "play in the big game". Watching cousin Rodney wolf down his food with the manners of a she wolf intent on feeding her pup, or wincing as I watched Glenda stuff peas cheerfully up her nose, or listening to Bertram snuffle and wipe his runny nose with the back of his hand while he ate hungrily with the other, just didn't make it. Every year I would ride home from Nana's in the back seat of our car with the burning desire to "grow up" so I could finally sit in at the big table.
     Then, one year, just before Thanksgiving, my Nana got sick and died. There would be no more going to her house for Thanksgiving. No more big table or little table. I loved my Nana with all my heart and it somehow just seemed like we had lost so much when she passed away. So, I never got to sit at the big table. But that suddenly didn't matter anymore. All I really wanted was to have Nana and her Thanksgiving celebration back again.
     So, as we get ready for Thanksgiving and the start of the holiday season, I urge all of you to take the time this Thanksgiving to sit down and tell the people, whether they are family, friends or coworkers, that you love and care for most how you really feel about them. Later on might just be too late. Tell them what makes them special to you. Tell them how much they mean to you. Show them by your honesty and sharing that they have a special place in your life. And give them the opportunity to tell you how they feel. It may be embarrassing. It may be difficult to say. But do it. Before its too late. Do it.
     May you all have the most wonderful of Thanksgivings…
     And may the dragons fire up and give your turkey a nice golden, crispy touch...

No comments:

Post a Comment