Thursday, November 14, 2013

Every Writer Does it Differently…
     I have been asked several times "how" I came up with and wrote my stories about The Falls and Dragon World. Did I outline my story in the beginning? Did I make notes and have a "board" where I put down pertinent issues to write about, scenes to develop, etc. Did I have an online file or yellow pad where I put down everything I wanted to happen and then systematically figured out the sequence?
     Well, I only know one thing for sure: there are as many different ways of creating, writing and developing stories as there are authors. Everyone has their own way of doing it. Some authors are very precise, meticulous and patterned with outlines, notes and tons of research. Others let the story take them where it will as a meandering spring stream after the winter snows melt. And then there are the rest of us who fall somewhere between the two extremes. 
     I hope you're not too disappointed when I admit that I really don't have a very illuminating answer about how I write. I don't outline, although as I go along I often think of a scene or something that I want to happen and put it on a sticky. (Mostly because I don't want to forget it!)  I do have a file box with 3x5 cards where I write down each character and a little about them and keep them stored alphabetically. I also have two large three sided charts (they are the boards kids use for their science projects, truth be told!) that has the map of The Falls on one and the surrounding area map on the other. I use Wikipedia mostly for my research, such as checking out methods of killing off someone or wounds that Doc Stone and Meg need to describe. I also use it for specific issues such as hot air ballooning, flowers, and Beth Goldstein's funeral. It is specific enough without overwhelming me with too much detail. Obviously, for my fantasy series, Dragon World, Wikipedia isn't needed. I do keep a note here and there about something I created in that world so I will remember when I want to use it again. I also keep a list of characters that I place in the back of every book.
     But the story, the story unfolds in my head and heart and soul. It sometimes ambles along like an old man and his hound dog walking along a country road. At other times, it rushes by like a great river swollen by rain or spring snow melt. It has a life of it's own. It is it's own entity. I am the conduit. I am above all else, a story-teller, a weaver of of tales. I am the midwife, as each story is born, takes it's first few breaths and then fully unleashes its lungs and cries out. I mold it and shape it as it pours out. I must say, it is one of the most truly alive feelings a person can ever have…giving birth to and weaving a tale.  Yes, I fashion it, turn it this way and that, change out words, define meanings and descriptions. But in the end its essence comes from deep down inside me. At times, I write from my heart. At other times i write from my brain. And my soul is always there, urging, reminding and admonishing me as I form the tale like a glass blower fashions a beautiful bottle or vase. Writing excites me, makes me feel alive. It is trite, I know to say it, but it's true for me: writing defines me and completes me.
     I hope that helps. It's the best this old Scottish Yankee can come up with. I'm sure there are other, much more eloquent writers who could do the subject justice. Perhaps, if we wheedle and urge enough, they'll do just that.
     May the dragons watch over you all...

No comments:

Post a Comment