Monday, November 18, 2013

Characters vs Plot…
     The old debate still surfaces from time to time: what's most important, characters or plot? It's an interesting discussion point, and each author will have their own personal scale weighing out the percentages of what they feel to be true on the matter. I must admit to a bit of waffling on the matter. I believe that the story drives the characters and the characters drive the story.
     In writing The Falls small town mystery tales, I believe that the small town, West Sugar Shack Falls, is the main essence of each story and of the series. Each community member takes turns being the focal point as the scenes shift back and forth, and the plot unwinds. In my Dragon World series, the characters are strong, aggressive and a bit over the top and demand center stage. The plot winds and weaves and has sone neat little twists but the essence is always good versus evil.
     In essence then, I must come down in the exact middle. I believe that each story is unique and that sometimes the storyline leads, and other times the characters are the centerpiece. I know, I know, it sounds like a copout, but it's what I truly believe. 
     As I have said before in an earlier post, the characters in The Falls form one main essence: a small town. Small towns are unique and have a life of their own. Where I can create a vast world in the Dragon World series and paint in broad, bold strokes, when I tell the tale of The Falls, many of the relationships intertwine, weave around and create intricate, dewey spiderwebs that flutter and glisten in the brilliant Vermont sunrise. 
     So, what's most important to you as a writer, or as reader? Plot or characters? Why?
     May the dragons watch over you...

No comments:

Post a Comment