Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Feelin' my way…
     I just published my 12th volume in The Falls small town mystery series as an ebook at the Kindle Store, Amazon.com. That's the 20th ebook I've published through Kindle Direct Publishing. Sounds like a lot doesn't it? You would think that I would be used to all this by now. Truth of the matter is that I'm not.
     Each book that I hit "publish" and send out to the wild world of the internet brings about the same reaction as the first. I take a deep breath and make a little, heartfelt wish. I call on the dragons to watch over it as it slips into Kindle's inventory of ebooks and then I walk around all day wondering if it's good, whether I have done a good job editing and how it will be received by the growing number of people who actually (miracle of miracles!) seem to be fans.
     Many writers are tough skinned and determined while at the very same time, we are overly sensitive and just a bit fearful. I'm six foot two and two hundred and thirty pounds and can honestly say I've never really been afraid of anyone in my life (the lone exception being my mother, bless her soul). But once I have sent that newest volume out, I worry about how it will be received, receiving and dealing with bad reviews internally and not living up to a certain standard. 
     I am my hardest critic. Trust me. Since I am still learning the online publishing business, I often am not sure that I've got it right. But, as my dad always said, if you don't try, you can't possibly succeed. Dad was a very smart and perceptive man despite never attending college. It doesn't make it any easier though.
     Reading, studying messages from other authors speaking about and advertising their works, I tend to marvel. They seem so positive and confident. They seem so polished and energetic about their works and present such an enthusiastic and energetic presence. there must be an author's confidence drink out there that I'm missing!
     When forced to answer, I will admit to believing in myself as a writer. The stories that I weave are a large part of the inside me. They flow out of me, taking twists and turns as they appear on the page. I don't outline my plot or characters beforehand, they simply appear as I write. In fact it's more like I'm telling a story, weaving a story than I am writing. Just like when I used to tell my kids stories at bedtime. I tell the story that comes out of me.
     As a principal, I had a positive, strong, calm front that I presented to everyone (well, the kids always got the real me to come out!). I don't have that front as a writer. Perhaps I will some day. But then, after 20 books, if it hasn't shown up already, you'd have to think it's probably not going to. So it's just me out there.
     So, here I am, just as nervous and at stray ends after publishing The Falls: Revenge as I was after the first one I published. I truly hope you enjoy it. I hope the story speaks to you. Most of all, I really hope that it becomes more than a story, a piece of your life perhaps, for a just a magical, little while.
     May the dragons watch over you, gentle readers... 

2 comments:

  1. You are a natural storyteller. Must be the Celtic heritage. Shame to have to deal with the publishing part. When you think about it, back in the day, even writers of very humble means had secretaries. Then the transcription was handed over to the publisher/printer - frequently they doubled as the local newspaper. Today if you go KDP you do it all yourself. Even with a publisher you do so much more than you did even ten years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, my friend. Your kind words made me smile. Everything you say is true. I do believe the dragons whisper tales to me as well...

    ReplyDelete