Wednesday, June 4, 2014

I pushed the button...
     Well, I've gone and done it. I'm standing on the grass, looking down at the hole I've just climbed out of at this moment and filled in with fresh earth. Yesterday, I took a deep breath, and clicked on the "publish" icon at CreateSpace. I was immeciately greeted with a "Congratulations!" message and then asked if I wanted to purchase any copies. Surprisingly, the author's copies are the same price as the proofs, $8.07. So I promptly ordered three.
     I have ten proofs I ordered earlier to send to family members and friends. I thought the author copies would be slightly more, but it doesn't matter. There's little difference between a proof and an author's copy. I sat down day before yesterday and wrote a long one page letter to the family members and friends that I will be sending with the copy I'll be giving them. I found it to be rather difficult. I really haven't said much to my children or grandchildren about my books or my writing career. I guess, honestly, that I never said much to them about being a teacher and principal either. I think that comes from being a rather private person and not wanting to inflict my feelings, thoughts or ideas into or intrude into other people's lives. I always talked about their lives, or joked around or just gave them hugs and played with them.
     Hmmm, it sounds rather funny (unusual not ha-ha) when I put that thought down on paper. Anyway, I wanted them to know how much writing meant to me and that I truly appreciated how much them being in my life had meant to the fulfillment of my writing dreams. I tried to tell them about reinventing myself: becoming more knowledgeable in writing technology, computers, software, joining Twitter, having my own blog, LinkedIn, a Facebook author's page, and advertising on over 40 different FB sites. I gave them the addresses to all of the sites I maintain and told them I'd love to have each of them check the sites out.
     Tomorrow or the next day, I'll package the proofs in the US mails convenient paperback boxes, my wife ordered for me, sign the proofs, add a letter and ship them all out. You know, as parents we just try to deal with our kids and life and do what we feel is best, attempting to keep them safe and happy and try and let them know how much we love them. As you get older, and your kids are the ones who are busy with their families and business lives, it seems like a real role reversal. For the first time, I'm looking for some support, some approval from my kids and grandkids for something I'm doing rather than the other way around. Kinda' scary and a bit exciting at the same time.
     So, my computer is still not back from the Apple Farm and I'm going crazy because I don't want to write oin my old HP and then have to take that and adapt PC older Word to iMac newer Word. That seems to creat formatting issues and after the experience I had fitting my first manuscript into the template for CreateSpace, I'm not taking the chance. Converting to Kindle would be no problem. Our new AC unit will be installed tomorrow. Another process to go through, although our AC guys are first rate.
     I have to admit, I'm excited to see the new paperback The Falls: In the Dead of Winter advertised on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc. and I'll be watching. But as soon as the iMac comes back, I'll be entering the second book in the series, The Falls: Summer Nightmare, which I already had placed in the template for CreateSpace on my desktop, into CS and then working on the cover. I've already drawn that as well.
     Until the next time, I leave you one piece of advice: no matter where you are on the writing food chain, whether it be established, well known author, or unpublished neophyte working on your first manuscript...or wherever inbetween, BELIEVE and WORK HARD. That's all there is for a writer. A writer must write. A writer works through the problems, the doubt, the frustration and even through the joy and delight that surrounds our craft.
    The hole is filled in, long live the hole. May the dragons watch over you all... 

No comments:

Post a Comment