Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Stand Up Desk...
     Well, almost a week ahead of schedule, my Stand Up Desk came (it's from the Stand Up Desk Store through Amazon.com online) in two boxes UPS. Five feet long, two surfaces, one 16" wide the other 12" wide. I spent most of the afternoon putting it together in the garage. Florida garages, in the summer, even open to allow any breeze that comes along, are what might be described as humid and warm. (Okay, they're sweltering and hot.)
     I must admit that the process went well although as usual when 'some assembly is required' the  tools they include for you to use are less than ideal. I substituted the little wrench about halfway through but the allen wrench was fine. The plans had no words, but were pretty easy to understand. I left out one very minor piece (it was hard to see on the plans), but the mechanism seems fine without it.
     I tried the crank assembly to raise and lower it several times and it works smoothly and quickly. The crank even comes off easily so that it's not visible unless you want to raise or lower the desk. The two level surfaces will work quite well and I am looking forward to using it. I will wait however, because we are getting flooring installed on the upstairs floor and the stairway. No sense carrying it up and then down and then back up again.
     It looks quite sleek and the large castors with locks on them enable me to move it around whenever I want. It's very stable and holds a couple of hundred pounds. So, to this point, I am very pleased. The proof will come when I start writing. It will be nice to be able to switch back and forth between sitting and standing while I work at the desk. Standing is much better for you, considering the calories expended when you stand and the easing of your back muscles and straightening out your spine that occurs when standing. But I'm sure I will want to sit at times as well. So this is the best of both worlds. So, we shall see. The great experiment continues.
     May the dragons watch over you (whether you are sitting or standing)...

No comments:

Post a Comment