Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Volume Two...and the Stand Up Desk...
     Well, The Falls: Summer Nightmare, volume II in The Falls small town mystery series, is entered into CreateSpace, and the first proof has been ordered. I finished up the cover, decided on marketing rights and pricing yesterday and sent for the proof after basic site approval this morning. The price of the book will be around $16, $4 dollars less than the first. That figures. It's about a hundred and thirty-five pages smaller with the same distribution/marketing pattern. I wish I could sell them for less, but that's the lowest I'm allowed to sell it for, due to the costs that CreateSpace incurs in publishing them.
     I'm also in the process of packaging up, addressing and then mailing the copies of my first book, The Falls: In the Dead of Winter, to family and a friend or two. That gives me no end of pleasure, although it is a bit scary as well. I think a writer always worries that people aren't going to like their work. Occupational hazard, I believe. It's one thing to have a complete stranger not like what you write, quite another to have a family member or good friend feel the same way.
     I made a purchase. It's in transit. It's a sit/stand desk. I can sit at it like a regular desk, and when I want to, I can crank it up another foot or so and use it as a stand up desk, typing at my iMac while I stand. The more I read about the benefits of standing while writing, the more I wonder why this hasn't been the ''next big thing' a long time ago. Well now, there are all sorts of websites selling them. There are all sizes and kinds of stand up desks out there. Some are fixed at a certain height, others go up and down electrically by the push of a button, mine utilizes a small crank that then tucks out of the way. Any writers out there might want to check it out. Most of them are fairly expensive ($600-2000) but mine I bought on Amazon.com for about $400 and shipping (another $42). It has two levels, is five feet long and the shelves are 16" and 12* in depth (28"deep in total). It's on it's way UPS. I'll let you know how the experiment turns out. (But remember, I'm a stubborn Scotsman and will make it work no matter what problems arise!)
     So, now it's on to the second volume. I'll let you know how it goes. Until then, may your days be filled with small pleasures, may the writing Gods smile down upon you and may the dragons watch over you all...

No comments:

Post a Comment