Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Falls: In the Dead of Winter, on Amazon...
     Well, my first paperback is now on Amazon. The Falls: In the Dead of Winter, first volume of The Falls small town mystery series, is now on Amazon.com as a paperback. In a few weeks it will be available through bookstores, including Barnes & Noble, and lots of other venues.
     I have to admit that it has me a bit speechless. The first time I saw it I just stared at it for a little while, all sorts of thoughts running through my head. There is a great deal of satisfaction the first time you accomplish something you have been working hard to achieve. A bit of pride and confirmation as well. It rather humbles one.
     Of course, I wish the price (hovering around $20) was a lot less, but the CreateSpace support staff assured me that between the length of the book (602 pages) and the fact that I chose to have it available on all the platforms they offered for sales, that price was the lowest they could produce the book for and offer it for sale in so many markets. I can get the book for around $8, so I will be sending some copies out to family and friends, along with a heartfelt letter explaining how I had reached that place in my writing.
     I should get my iMac back today from Best Buy and from a trip to the Apple repair center (which I seem to like calling the Apple Farm for want of a better name). Then I can get back to writing (the 16th Falls mystery is one-third through) and getting book two, The Falls: Summer Nightmare, ready for publishing on CreateSpace. I also need to justify the covers of the Kindle version and the paperback version of The Falls: In the Dead of Winter. I'll go with the paperback cover.
     You know, at times I really wish I had an agent, a publisher, a publicist, a team of people to create covers, edit and keep me appraised of what I should be doing to best publish and market my books. Then, at other times, I feel proud that I'm accomplishing what I am on my own, as a true independent author/publisher. I'm sure all writers go through that, don't they? 
     I leave with you only a few words of advice. Do what's right for you. Write what you want to write. Be true to yourself. Work hard and persevere. May the dragons watch over us all...


http://www.amazon.com/Falls-Dead-Winter-small-mystery/dp/1497365384/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1402406896&sr=1-3&keywords=the+falls+in+the+dead+of+winter

No comments:

Post a Comment