Saturday, May 31, 2014

I Fell Back into the Hole...But I can Get up...
     Okay...just as the end was in sight, I slipped off the earthen ramp and fell back into the hole. But no worries, apart from being frustrated and a bit chagrined, I'm okay. I had one of "those days". Teeth issues, AC went out, and my iMac went blank. Of course all my manuscripts, works in progress, covers, templates, etc. were on that iMac. Yes, I have a back up. I have an external hard drive, a Passport is what Apple calls it. Most of the information is there, but since I need an Apple computer to retrieve it, so it virtually just sits there and taunts me.
     I took the iMac to Best Buy where my friendly and always helpful Geek Squad assured me that it was repairable. It's some kind of graphic card. The kicker though, it has to be sent to an Apple repair service mecca shop in Kentucky. Two week turnaround. Luckily we had the total service plan and shouldn't cost more than the $100 for the Geek Squad's download. Yes, to be safe, I had them do a complete download of everything on the computer and then they sent it off. Now I keep getting little messages from the Geek Squad saying where my iMac is and what's going on, which I find surprisingly consolling.
     So, I got back the first 5 proofs, and have ordered anothyer 5. I will write in them and ship them off to our five kids, my wife's sister and my sister. I also have promised one of them to a dear friend. That at least I can deal with without the computer. When the second set of 5 proofs get here (they don't let you get more than 5 at a time) I will then complete the publishing process and the book will be out for sale. It goes on sale for $20.18. That's due to the length, 602 pages and me wanting my book for sale on all six markets they offer: Amazon.com, Amazon Europe, CreateSpace eStore, Bookstores and online retailers (like Barnes and Noble), libraries & academic institutions, and CreateSpace Direct.
     Apparently, the more distribution and merchandising markets, the more it costs. I don't imagine lots of people will buy it because of the cost, but it's there for the collector and fan of the series. It's also my first paperback, in my hand book, which at any amount is precious to me. The others should be less, since they are smaller in the amount of pages.
     I will brush myself off, get back up and accend the earthen ramp to get out of the hole. Then, with the first of the series published, I will move onto the second. It's already in template pdf form (on my iMac in Kentucky). I already have the front cover picture and will work on front covers for all the other books in the series (15 as of now, as soon as I publish The Falls: Brotherly Love and I'm a quarter of the way into The Falls: Boneyard, the sixteenth).
     In the meantime, I have two books, The Falls: Mud Season and The Falls: Making a List, Checking it Twice, numbers 3 &4 in the series, on sale this weekend for $.99 at the Kindle Store. That's what being an independent author/publisher/cover designer/publicist is all about, right? Many eggs in your basket. You just don't want to triup (or fall in a hole) and break some of them.
     Despite the pause, I will persevere. So should all of you. That's the only way it gets done. So, as I dust the dirt, small pebbles and odd piece of debris from my bruised but strongwilled body, I wish you a day filled with small pleasures...and may the dragons watch over us all...
    



No comments:

Post a Comment