Friday, October 18, 2013

Positive Attitudes and Life...
     Over the past 65 years there have been a lot of ups and downs in my life. Hopefully, I have learned from each of them. One thing I'm sure of: the way you react to the events and people in your life make a difference in the direction your life heads from that point onward.
     Each of us has a wide range of incidents that come our way. There are times that we are more positive than negative about the way we respond to them, and vice-versa. The first twenty-some-odd years, I think the way most of us respond to those incidents are mostly reactive and formed without much thought, responding with our 'gut feelings' if you will. After that, at a point in time that varies widely for each of us, we begin stepping back after the initial shock or rejoicing of a particular incident and figuring out the best way to handle it. We begin to take stock of what has happened, how it affects the ones closest to us and evaluate the options it affords us.
     I'll be the first to admit that there are times I have completely blown how to handle something, and other times that I have done it in a fashion that I'm proud of, even to this day. One thing I have learned: I need to remember that unless it's life or death circumstances, whatever the incident, it will gradually assimilate into my life. So, I have come to take a much more positive tack and have tried to be kind, openminded and understanding. Okay, that hasn't always worked. I'm still a feisty, independent Scotsman and I tend to fire up my personal dragons if someone or something deliberately "rains on my parade". But now, instead of responding, I count to ten (okay, maybe twenty-five) before I respond like a wild-eyed Scottish Highlander, even though I might prefer that method at the moment. If I'm honest, I have to admit that I often envision myself aggressively confronting the offending person or event, which does help somewhat! Beheading with a Scottish Claymore is particularly rewarding!
     I think after five wonderful kids, eight beautiful grandchildren and three special great grand-babies, I have mellowed. I'm sure some of my friends from younger days are chuckling over that statement, but I have. I have come to look at an incident or an idiotic, belligerent person with different, hopefully wiser, eyes. It doesn't mean I'm weaker...it means I have more skill in dealing with the world. Most difficult things in life are not worth the stress and emotional wear and tear. (My wife, I'm sure, is chuckling and asking, "George? That can't be you! Who are you and what have you done with my husband?")
     All of us have moments when we wished we would have handled a situation better. I have less of those as I grow older and become an elder statesman. As a principal of several schools over twenty-nine years (forty years in education as a teacher and administrator) I used my skills and my wits. There were times I told people off, but they had to really deserve it. In my own personal life, however, I was more emotional, more instantaneous reaction. Sometimes that was good, sometimes it wasn't. I think we have to see what our actions do to those we love and care about to really get to the point where rationalization, calmness and understanding are the watchword we go by.
     How about you? Are you emotional or rational? Positive or negative? How do you react to life's little events? And how does that reaction make you feel?
     May the dragons watch over you...

2 comments:

  1. I definitely handle stuff better with age, as well. I'm sure you had NO idea that I used to have quite a temper. I know, surprise surprise, right?! Patrick wouldn't know, either -- I hid it from him expertly. I even see progress in marriage stuff, too. It's not like you hit some magical age and you just don't get angry at stuff anymore, it's definitely a slow process. And I don't think it happens to some people at all, sometimes. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetheart, you had a temper?! But, you're right...we get better at things as we get older...more experienced. And you're also right...some people never seem to get it...pity. Love you lots...

    ReplyDelete