Monday, August 18, 2014

The Proof is Ordered...
     The proof for The Falls: Mud season was ordered yesterday. It would have been ordered two days earlier, but I was changing cover pictures. I went from a drawing of a school bus with a girl standing in the back window to a sign that said School Bus Stop Ahead to one that read School Bus Turnaround Ahead. In Vermont, school buses often drive up winding mountain roads. There are a number of turn-ins that are made specifically for a long school bus to back into and then turn around and go back the way it came. It becomes financially expedient to do that rather than drive the whole road around or over the mountain. Some of those roads go on forever. Thus the sign.
     The cover will be gray (light and dark, just like Vermont clay-mud). I should get it in a few days and then take another few days to proof it. I'm already a quarter of the way through editing the word document for the fifth book in the series, The Falls: Making a List, Checking it Twice and placing it on the template with chapters for CreateSpace. For those of you who haven't used CreateSpace yet, it's all about creating a good template, which my good friend, Kate Shannon, helped me do. After that, it becomes a lot of cut and paste (but not the old paste, the special formatting paste that keeps the formatting and font of the original). I also use a separate editing Word document if there are formatting problems in the original. I transfer the original chapter(s) onto the editing document and use the special paste, which gets rid of the formatting problems, then I transfer to the CreateSpace template. Much better than trying to fix them. I'm not skillful enough to do that. But I figured out a way around it.
     Contractors should be here this week to put down the floors, and I'm still bringing things down from the upstairs to make the job easier for them. They will move my TV stand with Xbox 360, Xbox One, two Kinects, modem, flat screen and DirecTV box to one side along with all the wiring...put down flooring and then move the whole thing back without me having to take everything apart. (I made a diagram and labeled each wire, cable, etc. just in case...chuckles.) Can't wait to get my office space back with the new stand-up, sit-down desk. That should be in a week or two.
     Until then, the dining room table (which is heaped with other stuff from upstairs on top of, under it, on both sides and in back of it) is my office space. Amazingly enough, I can write there just as well. Chuckles. Who knew?
     Until the proof gets here and I go "proofing", may the dragons watch over you all...

No comments:

Post a Comment