Saturday, November 1, 2014

Thanksmas or Christgiving...
     Okay, the kids are thoroughly gorged with candy and on a sugar high and the Halloween decorations and trimmings haven't been taken down yet and yet there it is! Ads for Christmas, Christmas decorations and the stores all decked out in holiday cheer! I hate the way holidays now run into each other. When I was a kid there was a reasonable time to get over and savor one holiday before moving onto another. It felt like a holiday, not a fast moving vision of some sort. Now, the greed and competition of stores, websites and the pursuit of the almighty dollar pushes everything together in a mash of holiday themes and overwhelms our senses. Can you tell I'm not a fan?
     Okay...okay...I'll back off my post-Halloween rant. Had lots of ghosties and ghoulies last night as always. We're too far from grandkids to see them on Halloween night but we enjoy all the other kids (from less than a year to over forty) who came to our door with an open bag and a "Trick or Treat!" My wife is the official greeter. I simply hang back and peek. Funny, all those years as a school principal I was always the welcoming one,with a big smile and a warm hug or handshake but at home, I'm much more private...always have been.
     I'm working on editing the first printed proof for The Falls: Fourth of July from CreateSpace. Almost three fourths of the way through and I am still amazed that I like my own stories. Chuckles. I have to remember to edit sometimes, rather than just get caught up in the story and read quickly on. Should be done in a couple of days, then turn it over to Carolyn to read as well. I need to change the cover. Add a fireworks to the picture and change the print to white from black. The cover is a very dark blue and the black doesn't show up well. This will be the first time that any of The Falls paperback books will have any color print than black. We'll see how it goes.
     I'm working on the eighteenth The Falls small town mystery series book, The Falls: County Fair. Just purchased a white board to keep track of story lines. I can do it with post-its and notes...but decided it was time for the storyboard approach. I'll keep track of each story line (I usually have at least three or four, maybe more) and I'm no spring chicken. I need help reminding self where to go next, what time it is for scenes, etc. I'm sure you all have your own methods.
     The stand up desk and I are simpatico. Haven't used a chair yet. You should try it. I feel better and I know my back does as well. Burn a few calories at the same time. Not bad and I like the two their approach...wasn't sure about that when I bought it.
     Went for my preop visit to my ENT doctor on Thursday. I had gone to my own doctor to get scheduled for an EKG, a chest X-ray and blood test...all the treats are now done. Surgery is November 10th. He's going to go into my left sinus and take out a bone spur and do some other things as well. Roto-router treatment I believe. Been hurting for a while now, it will be a relief to get it done. I will be back writing the next day...you can count on it...chuckles.
     It was actually down in the fifties for our walk this morning! Yeah! Florida's heat just gets to me at times. Tomorrow morning might be in the forties...a real treat! It will still be in the mid seventies during the middle of the day. Anyone willing to box up some cool Scottish weather, I'll trade a box of Florida warmth any day!
     On to Christmas...oops! Thanksgiving! Hmmm...maybe Thanksmas or Christgiving! May the dragon watch over you...

No comments:

Post a Comment