Friday, December 20, 2013

Ornaments…
     When I look at Christmas trees, my first thoughts are all about the ornaments that adorn it. There are as many different types of ornaments as there are snowflakes. They run the gamut of color, hue, shiny to dull, glitzy sparkles to sheer smoothness.
     There are the homemade ones, such as the 'I made it for mommy in school' and 'look what grandma and I made to put on our tree' ones. Then there are are the elegant and beautiful ones. The cut glass and crystal ones, brass, shining metal and intricate ornaments. There are the ornaments that are shaped like angels, hummingbirds, dragons (yes I have a couple), doves, butterflies, pixies, elves, and unicorns. There are the religious symbols and the ornaments that proclaim a wedding, a birth, or a lasting friendship.
     There are the ornaments from days gone by, ones kept lovingly, handed down from ancestors and friends in the long ago past. There are the handmade ones from children, grandchildren and even great grandchildren, and the ones that are so fragile that you simply hold your breath and hope they'll last just one more year. 
     There are the ones that we buy new when we go to special places, ones that remind us of where we've been and what fun and delights we've experienced. There are the ones that no one can remember where they came from originally, but we keep anyway because we don't want to either offend someone or realize after getting rid of them that they did, indeed, have a special significance.
     There are ornaments that speak to our eyes, our memories, our emotions and our hearts. There are ornaments that carry the memory of a tear, or a laugh or a warm hug every time we see them. And no matter how old we get, when we see those special ornaments we feel like a kid again.
     So when I look at Christmas trees, my mind goes into overdrive, trying to seek out the homeliest ornament, the newest one, the unique ones and then I try and imagine where they came from, why they are hung there and what memories they must carry. I never look at the most beautiful, most elegant ones first, although they may have equally inspiring and touching stories at times. But I tend to look at the ones that you might think didn't belong on such a beautiful tree. Those are the stories that truly interest and inspire me.
     So, tell me true, when I go into your home, what Christmas ornaments will I see that makes the writer and the romantic dragon rider inside me sit up and take notice? Which ornaments will bring me a tale worth telling? Which ornaments will tell the story of your life and those around you? Which ornament will weave a story?
     May the dragons watch over you...

No comments:

Post a Comment