Saturday, December 14, 2013

Decorating the Tree…
     Today, after writing this post and my daily chapter in The Falls: Thanksgiving, I will go downstairs, get out the myriad of boxes and decorate the tree. For me, it is a unique and highly anticipated time filled with memories, Christmas music and the growing holiday spirit. Most times, in the last few decades, it has been a solitary event. My wife enjoys setting up the little Christmas trees, preparing the wreaths for me to place outside all the windows, creating amazing Christmas table creations, setting up the nativity sets, expertly shopping for gifts and then exquisitely wrapping them. I do some of those things as well of course, but by and large she is the person responsible for organizing the magical and beautiful Christmas production around the house and mailing out the packages to all parts of the country. She is amazing and much too good for the likes of me.
     But the setting up our ten foot tree and decorating it are more often than not, uniquely mine. As I labored mightily to set the tree up yesterday afternoon, it reminded me of years, and generations past. Trekking out into the woods of Vermont with a sled and ax to select, cut and bring home that special tree. Going to the tree vendors later on and selecting the very best one as the snow fell. I remember the hot chocolate, a roaring fire and Christmas carols as we set it up and decorated. I remember going with my father as a child to get a tree. It was almost a religious experience. Maybe it really was that and more.
     Today, as I place the decorations on the tree a lot of them will bring back memories. Ornaments our kids gave us, granddaughter's first Christmas ornaments, babies first Christmas, ornaments from long past and the near pst that have special meanings. Our tree ornaments are basically made out of only glass, crystal, white, and brass. There are exceptions however, a few ornaments that mean the world to us tucked in among the dazzling, gleaming and exquisitely beautiful ones. We have a beautiful ten foot tree with a thousand white lights and an angel topper from long ago. As I place the ornaments on it, my thoughts will reach out and touch individually and collectively, our five children, our eight grandchildren, and our three great grandchildren. They will also reach out to my grandparents, my sister and her wonderful family, and my own mother and father. There is an ornament from my wife's parents as well.
     I will take time to remember and honor them all as I place the ornaments on the tree, a process that takes well over two hours. The memories, the tugs at my heart, the smiles, and yes, the joyous tear or two they bring will be well worth the time. I believe strongly in traditions. And trimming the Christmas tree is one of my most time honored traditions. A tradition of giving thanks, entering days gone by, and reaching out across the miles to mentally hug and value the dear loved ones in our life. 
     Then, each time we light the tree, which is often, I will feel the love and warmth and joy from all those ornaments, all those memories, all those loved ones, past, present and perhaps even future. I readily admit to wondering what Christmas will be like for all our kids and grandkids in the years and decades to come. 
     Christmas is time for giving…but it's also the time to remember and receive the love and memories of days past…of loved ones across the miles. So this year, as you decorate your tree, place the wreaths, and set up your cherished Christmas memorabilia all over the house…take time to remember and to smile and feel the love of Christmas past, Christmas present and Christmas future.
     May the dragons watch over you all and bring you the joys of the Christmas season...

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy trimming your tree. We are about to start ours today as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kate. I hope your memories while trimming your tree are warm, wonderful and fill your soul with Christmas spirit. FYI...I'm placing my book The Falls: Making a List, Checking it Twice on an Amazon KDP promotion…$.99 on Wednesday and Thursday, $1.99 on Friday and Saturday of this week.

    ReplyDelete