Friday, February 21, 2014

Plot or Characters...Chicken or the Egg?
     There are two things that drive a story, any story.  The characters and the plot. Different writers obviously develop their plots and their characters in a number of various ways. But I think we would all agree that those two essential items are at the center, the foundation of our stories, our storytelling. But from there, it becomes a little like the age old riddle: Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
     I even notice a difference in my own storytelling, depending on the genre. In writing my dragon rider series, Dragon World, I find that the plot has a definite rhythm to it. It flows smoothly, swiftly and although I get ideas as I go along and incorporate them, I have a specific end in mind. The characters (even though they are very strong and independent) definitely facilitate the plot and enhance it, but they unswervingly follow the scenes and happenings as it moves along.
     My small town mystery series, The Falls small town mystery series, on the other hand, is character driven. I start with a concept, and then the town of colorful characters takes over, wending it's way along, sometimes like a babbling brook, sometimes like a fast moving stream and at times, like a flood swollen river roaring out to the sea. The characters "speak to me" if you will, telling me where to go, pointing out little side stories and signaling me what pace to use. They are my ghosts writers if you will. They have as much say in where the story will go as I do.
     Now, take a moment, and think about your favorite authors. Try and remember the writing style. Do the characters drive the plot, or does the plot carry the characters along with it? Perhaps it's a little of both. It's an interesting way to look at the authors you read. When you settle down with a good book, see if you can tell which component has the upper hand, if indeed, either one does.
     So, which came first, the chicken or the egg? My money's on the chicken, because how else do you get the egg? Chuckles...
     May the dragons watch over you...(and yes, dragons lay eggs!)

No comments:

Post a Comment