Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Poll Workers...
     Well, yesterday Carolyn and I worked at our local polling place. We were there from six o'clock in the morning until a little after 8:00 PM. Long day. Carolyn worked the EVID machine, the computer that finds voters in the polling area, checks on their right to vote in case they had voted early or by mail, etc. and then  gives them the "OK"to be given a ballot. I worked as the person checking the slips given out by the EVID machine and then handing out ballots in security shields while telling the voter where to go and what to do. Our team had two EVID operators, two people handing out ballots, a person trained to run the ICE voting machine (it take the ballot after it is filled out and submits the choices into the machine, then tabulates them and gets them ready to be sent in to election  headquarters after the polls close), an assistant clerk, a sheriff's department deputy and a clerk. We work pretty well together. We set up in Tradition (Florida)Town Hall. The ages range from eighteen all the way to almost seventy. {No there are no hanging chads.)
     The job is grueling and it was made more-so because we had a particular heavy turnout for a non-presidential election. We had a steady flow all day and had several long lines as we went along. Have to admit, the voters were particularly supportive and kind to us yesterday. Most voters usually are, in fact we usually see a number of friends as they come to vote, but we normally get some disgruntled ones. Even God, Mahatma Gandhi and St. Peter would get disgruntled ones...and that's a fact.
     I have to admit, it takes me a day to get back into rhythm again after a day at the polls. My back aches, I'm beat and I feel like an eighteen-wheeler ran over me. So aside from writing in this morning and editing this afternoon, I haven't done much. We did go to BJ's.
     Finished editing The Falls: Fourth of July, and tomorrow I'll work on the cover photo again. The story in The Falls: County Fair is beginning to come together. Bought a white board, about four by two feet, and have already laid out the story board. I have vertical columns dealing with a specific storyline, such as Jeremy and Sylvia Jean in college. I add a line or two about each scene after I write it so I can keep track of where it's going, what I need to remember and the distribution of scenes to different story lines. On the back of the white board I add notes to remind myself later on in the story. Unlike some authors, I let the story twist and turn as it will, I don't have an outline from start to finish...that's not the way my creativity works best. I feel the direction of the story, and at times, surprise myself with which what it's headed. It's kind of funny. I'm very organized in most ways, but not with a story line. I have a general idea where I'm going but I listen to my gut as I go along. (It's a lot more fun that way as well!)
     I hope you all got out and voted. I'm not really very political, and refused to be as a principal, but I do find some of the twists and turns of the world of politics fascinating at times. May the dragons watch over you and char the hind ends of any new or old legislator who doesn't work for and think about the people they represent all the time...

No comments:

Post a Comment