Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The Proof and Other Things...
     Well, I've finished editing the proof, now waiting for my patient and wonderful wife to do the same. Then I'll edit the docx document, convert to pdf and download it onto the CreateSpace website. That part is going well. I have to say, though, there were more edits than I thought there would be. But then, it was my first novel book in the series, and the first digital book I published. I changed it around several times as I was writing it and then several times again afterwards. So I expected more issues than I have now when I edit the 15th novel in the series. Only stands to reason, right?
     Now, here's the glitch. Are you ready? I went to CreateSpace to play around with the cover and guess what? CreateSpace, which a few days ago had both spineless and spines formats in their "Build Your Own Book Cover" section...now has only spineless book covers!!!!! I want a spine...I want the title of my book and my names on a spine so people see it on the shelf! I want it there staring out at readers telling them to "Pick me up! Read me! Read me!"
     Naturally, I was a little unnerved. I messaged my good friend Kate Eileen Shannon who has been giving me some pointers on covers and how to design them and has even showed me some things I could do to enhance the cover. When I told her, she was bewildered as well. She promised to play around in CreateSpace and get back to me. I just checked in again and it hasn't changed...there are still no spines styles in their create a cover section. I sent a message to support this morning, asking why and telling them I wanted a spines cover. They are good about getting back, so I'll wait to see what their answer is to the problem. Crossing my fingers...and other things as well.
     Soooooo...the hole I'm in is still a hole and the ramp has suddenly started to crumble a bit. I should have figured that there would be at least one or two more trials to go through before I actually sent the next proof in. (I should have, right?" Maybe I was lulled into security with how well it was going the last few days. Foolish Yankee Highlander...)
     Okay, as soon as Carolyn gets through editing for me, I'll work on editing the docx document. That's next on the agenda. (Of course I have already started working on getting the second volume in the series, The Falls: Summer Nightmare, ready for conversion to CreateSpace paperback as well. All the while writing on the 16th volume, The Falls: Boneyard, and editing the 15th, The Falls: Brotherly Love, which should be out in digital form in a couple of weeks,)
     At least I can't say I'm bored! And I have faith that in the end, one way or another, it will all work out. You kind of have to feel that way, right? Hey! I'm old, Scottish, stubborn and determined. What other way could I feel?! (A bit tired?)
     So for now, I'm working on the crumbly ramp and taking opportunistic peeks from time to time at the light shining down into my cozy writing hole. Hope you're enjoying the journey! Can't say there is no action! I'll keep you posted! May the dragons watch over us all...and may the ramp stop crumbling!

No comments:

Post a Comment